|① Basic research and organization
- Recognition as a national wildlife sanctuary and registration as a wetland
under the Ramsar Convention should be sought.
- Basic surveys on the environment of Miyajima Marsh should be conducted
- Specialists should be requested to analyze data and devise the methods
necessary for development.
② Training people who will handle the preservation of nature
- A research environment should be created for researchers from Bibai and
- A system of support for research should be established.
③ Taking measures against vermin damage to crops
- Environmentally friendly measures against vermin damage should be devised.
- A feeding ground should be designed, and ways to attract the geese researched.
- Citizens can support farming by doing the additional work created by vermin
damage on a voluntary basis.
- A detailed survey into vermin damage should be conducted, and effective
- The establishment of a support system should be proposed to the national
and Hokkaido governments.
④ Preparing facilities around Miyajima Marsh
- The amenities for a visitor center should be designed.
- An observation point should be set up from which the geese can be observed
and photographed without causing disturbance.
- Traffic should be regulated with a focus on avoiding any impact on agriculture.
- A new parking lot and a footpath to Miyajima Marsh should be constructed.
- Main facilities should be established at their current position on the
southeast edge of the marsh.
⑤ Improving access to Miyajima Marsh
- Means of transport other than privately owned vehicles should be secured.
- Taxis can be used.
- Access from the existing bus stop should be improved.
- Information should be provided via the website.
- Signs to Miyajima Marsh should be put up on major roads.
- Thematic and scientific explanatory software should be developed.
⑥ Developing tourism from new angles
- Suggestions should be taken from established methods in developed areas.
- A basic value for the number of visitors should be calculated, and the
results and influence tested.
- A visitor’s database should be created and information provided.
- The means to analyze feedback from visitors should be established.
- A walking route that connects the resources in the city should be marked
- A tourist information center should be created.
⑦ Strengthening the foundations of agriculture
- The opportunities for tourists to meet farmers should be increased.
- The potential and appeal of farming villages and agriculture should be
- An environment in which tourists can stay in farming villages should be
- The appeal of farming villages and farm produce should be brought to the
attention of people.
- Prices should be increased, and the profit used to support the symbiotic
relationship with the geese.
⑧ Improving education about the environment
- Attention should be drawn to Miyajima Marsh and the geese in school and
- A system to carry out and support education about the environment should
- Methods of teaching about the environment should be researched, and the
necessary know-how accumulated.
- “Proper” observation should be promoted through education about the environment.
- The accumulated know-how of environmental education should be developed.
- Environmental education programs should be co-developed with other concerned
- Environmental education that is not restricted to the geese’s migration
season should be conducted.
⑨ Founding an organization for promotion by the people of Bibai
- The year’s guidelines for Miyajima Marsh should be set by the people concerned.
- Examples in other regions should be visited and studied, and a basis upon
which ideas can be shared should be formulated.
- Efforts to increase the number of such contacts should be continued.
- A citizens’ organization that would act independently should be formed.